Connect with us

Top News

Dagestan: Coronavirus hotspot raises questions about the number of Russian Covid-19s

Published

on

Russian President Vladimir Putin holds a videoconference meeting with representatives from Dagestan.

More than two decades later, remote mountainous regions present a new challenge for the President of Russia, when the Covid-19 outbreak raised new questions about how Russia counts infections and deaths from the corona virus.

As of Tuesday, Dagestan had confirmed 3,553 Covid-19 cases and 32 deaths, ranked fifth out of 85 territories in official Russian federal statistics. But in an Instagram interview Sunday with a local journalist, the head of the republic’s health ministry gave a far higher number than Moscow, saying the total number of people infected with the corona and pneumonia virus that people got in Dagestan exceeds 13,000, with 657 people killed.

Asked by journalist Ruslan Kurbanov to explain why Covid-19 and pneumonia cases were counted separately, the health official, Dzhamaludin Gadzhiibragimov, replied that pneumonia patients were treated as if they had a virus, but not all cases were thought to originate from coronavirus due to lack of testing.

“Basically, the same [treatment] the methodology is used for both, “he said.” But because we don’t have laboratory test confirmations, statistics are being compiled in that way. “

As in other countries, frontline health workers in the region are the most vulnerable to deadly outbreaks. Between 40 and 50 health workers have died in Dagestan since the beginning of the pandemic, according to estimates from Gadzhiibragimov and head of the region’s mufti. Dagestan has a population of around 3 million people. According to the Russian health ministry, the region has 635 ICU beds and ventilators.

Doctors in the region have complained last week on social media about the lack of protective equipment, and some hospitals do not yet have room to care for their staff. A video of a nurse linked to an IV in a storage room in the city of Derbent went viral in early May.

Civil rights activist Ziyautdin Uvaisov, who is chairman of Patient Monitor, a non-profit organization that collects money to buy protective equipment for Dagestan doctors, told CNN that the health care system in the region is in very bad shape.

See also  Susan Rice 'will say yes' if asked to be Vice President Joe Biden

“We have been talking about it since 2017 but unfortunately there is a habit of sweeping everything under the rug,” Uvaisov said.

He added that most doctors in his organization interacted by saying about half of their colleagues were sick because there was no one to replace them when the hospital ward overflowed.

Dagestan’s dire situation has put the republic in the spotlight of Russia’s top officials. On Monday, Putin took the unusual step of leading a special government session with Dagestan leaders.

“The situation in Dagestan is difficult and demands immediate action,” Putin said in a video conference, which ordered the military to build a 200-bed hospital to help ease a crowded emergency room.

Much of the Russian government’s response to the pandemic has been hampered by bureaucracy and mismanagement of regional funds. In poorer regions such as Dagestan, where the average monthly wage is twice as low as national, according to the Russian state statistics agency, dragging feet like that is one of the main reasons behind the severe outbreak.

The additional payment promised by Putin to compensate for the difficulties of front-line work is another complaint for health professionals.

“We have been working since the beginning of the pandemic and we are faithfully doing our job – now many of our colleagues [confined] inside a medical institution, fighting for their lives, “a paramedic from the city of Buinaksk in Dagestan said in a video posted by a local outlet.

“Only a few of us are left at the forefront. We have 151 employees, but only 41 receive payment. The others don’t get anything.”

Similar videos and open letters has appeared in at least 20 of 85 Russian regions in the past week, according to CNN calculations. In public outrage, health workers complained that they did not receive any additional payment or get a small portion of it, calculated on the basis of hours and even minutes spent working directly with Covid-19 patients.

See also  The Center's Order of Physicians highlights Health in Portuguese - News from Coimbra

“If the government’s decision is initially declared clear, understandable, transparent and easy to control the principles and ways to bring this presidential payment [to health workers] “to work in special conditions, there will be fewer questions for the head doctors who work from morning to night, and to the governor as well,” Putin said on Tuesday.

The federal government changed the relevant regulations, removed the bureaucratic loophole which resulted in some doctors receiving less than 50 cents of additional salary, and promised to facilitate all payments that should be.

In a special meeting held by Putin on Monday, officials acknowledged the situation in Dagestan was more serious than reflected in official statistics. Russian Health Minister Mikhail Murashko said that 7,000 people had been hospitalized. In a video conference on Monday, Republican Head Mufti Ahmad Abdulaev told Putin many Covid-19 deaths were not recorded because people died in their homes without ever being taken to the hospital and buried according to local traditions – and without an autopsy that could confirm the cause of death.

Vladimir Vasilyev, head of the republic, linked the level of infection in part with the Dagestan tradition, which involved mass gatherings to mark important events such as weddings and funerals as well as unwillingness to delay Friday prayers in the early stages of the outbreak. He also discussed the difference in numbers between pneumonia and coronavirus.

“We are not hiding anything,” Vasilyev said, citing high respiratory-related mortality rates in 2018 and 2019, before coronavirus. “But here it is [is] it’s not so easy to distinguish the two. “

In mid-April, the streets of the regional capital Makhachkala were still busy with people. The independent outlet of Meduza was explained in a report last week how a wedding of 500 people in one of the small towns of Dagestan became one of the first coronavirus hotspots at the end of March. However, some Dagestani refute speculation that their tradition is one of the causes of increasing infections; Uvaisov, a local activist, cited mistrust of the local authorities and the health care system because it prompted some to ignore warnings.

The Kremlin has promised to help Dagestan with additional resources to help him fight the pandemic, including more test kits because the republic is still testing at a daily rate twice the recommended, according to federal health and welfare agency Rospotrebnadzor. The agency’s head, Anna Popova, told Putin that Dagestan maintained “a very fragile balance,” because the authorities were worried that the Eid holiday and mass Muslim celebrations could trigger a new outbreak.

See also  Why does Baker Mayfield, his wife celebrate on contract day Patrick Mahomes

Victims of Russia’s overall coronavirus virus remain low with 2,837 deaths reported on Tuesday and the death rate is 7.4 lower than the global average, according to Deputy Prime Minister Tatiana Golikova. The method of calculating the country has been investigated by observers who show that deaths are often ascribed to other causes.

Russian demographers and epidemiologists hope that national statistics for all-cause deaths in April, which are expected to be released by authorities in late May, will help to get a clearer picture of the number of pandemic victims in Russia – both for deaths from coronavirus that may missed and for people who cannot get medical help for other conditions because the hospital is overwhelmed.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Top News

What Makes Professional AV Solutions the Top Priority in Business Meetings

Published

on

Do you need someone to get you the most promising professional AV control solutions but don’t know specifically when the market is overflowing with choices? Well, don’t you worry anymore because we have tons of choices right at your disposal for the best experience, be it for your office or even for educational purposes.

A professional AV solution’s major work is to ensure that you can have a one-of-a-kind experience, and this stands not only for meetings but even for presentations.

The AV solution is one where there is a huge display, and each of the members in the room can see and hear the deeds of the presentation very easily. Not only that, it is different from the monotonous lectures and adds a bit of spark, making people more engaged. After all, visual aids are always great for a better impact.

Affordable AV Solutions with Biamp Systems

However, the problem many people face at this juncture is that they do not end up finding someone who offers quality services and that too by not charging a bomb. It could be difficult to shell out a lot of money for the initial setup or maintenance; hence, finding someone affordable is very important. Biamp Systems ensures you have the most amazing experience, and that too by not having to spend too much.

The idea always has been to provide the best of services close price range. However, this has not come in the way of the high quality; that is what they have taken up as a motto. If you want good services at a price range that is convenient for everyone, then Biamp Systems is the name that you should believe in.

See also  Susan Rice 'will say yes' if asked to be Vice President Joe Biden

Conclusion

So, if you want to offer a great audio-visual meeting experience to all the participants from different geographical locations, you must opt for professional AV Solutions today. Connect with team Biamp Systems and place your order.

Continue Reading

Top News

Portuguese club sign Matheus Pereira from Cruzeiro

Published

on

Portuguese club sign Matheus Pereira from Cruzeiro

Credit: Bruno Haddad / Cruzeiro

Boavista received a positive response from Cruzeiro for the final transfer of Matheus Pereira. The left-back, first of all, is the request of coach Armando Petit to replace Janis Amas, who is due to leave the club in the coming days.

O Torcedores.com It turned out that the clubs started the exchange of documents this Wednesday morning (29) and the purchase of the defender is in full swing. Now Boavista is looking to get past the red tape to finally announce the signing of the player.

Mateus Pereira has a contract with Cruzeiro until June 2023 and is on loan from Guarani until the end of the current season. The club from Sao Paulo has already been informed that it will lose the left-back in the next transfer window.

Also according to the report, Boavista will invest 3 million euros (16.6 million reais at the current price) to get 60% of the economic rights for four seasons. Cruzeiro, in turn, will keep 40% of the season ticket for future sale.

Mateus Pereira was one of the full backs, according to the Boavista Market Analysis Center, since 2021 I have kept a player in my field of vision. At first, the deal will be on a season-long lease.

However, the Minas Gerais club eventually agreed to negotiations when the Portuguese made the final choice in favor of buying the athlete. Recently, Mateus Pereira received a poll from Braga. However, Cruzeiro was not enthusiastic about this business model.

Matheus Pereira held talks with the club from Rio de Janeiro

Having failed to return to Serie A of the Brazilian championship, Cruzeiro placed Matheus Pereira on the list of “fixed” players. In January, for example, he appeared on the radar to protect Fluminense.

See also  Hot Property: Barry Sonnenfeld registers a Colorado retreat for $ 13.25 million

At the direction of Abel Braga, the then tricolor coach, the defender even had a verbal agreement with Fluminense. However, the board backed out of the deal shortly after signing Chris Silva from Sheriff Moldova and Mauricio Pineyda, who was at Barcelona, ​​Ecuador.

Out of coach Paulo Pezzolano’s plans, the left-back was loaned out to Guarani until the end of the current season. Bugre has 23 matches, three goals and one assist. In addition, he is one of the best players in the Brazilian Serie B position.

Matheus Pereira figures

Matheus Pereira, based on the basic categories of Cruzeiro, arrived at Toca da Raposa II in 2017. He belongs to the same generation as goalkeeper Gabriel Braçao, defender Kaka, right-back Vitinho, midfielder Mauricio, striker Cayo Rosa and others.

With these players, Matheus Pereira won the 2018 Under-20 Mineiro Championship. Two years later, coach Adilson Batista promoted the player to the first team, who decided to bet on the first team to form a squad that would play for the first time. in series B.

In two seasons, he established himself as the owner of the left back of Rapos. At the same time, he represented the club in 61 matches, scored one goal and made three assists.

This season, for example, 21-year-old Mateus Pereira has made 23 appearances for Guarani: 12 in Brazil’s Serie B, two in the Brazilian Cup and nine in the Campeonato Paulista. In addition, he scored three goals, provided an assist and spent 2033 minutes on the field.

Highlights: Cruzeiro 2 x 0 Ponte Preta (Serie B). Watch the video!

Continue Reading

Top News

Teodoro Obiang meets the Portuguese he saved from death | NEWS | DV

Published

on

Teodoro Obiang meets the Portuguese he saved from death |  NEWS |  DV

Teodoro Obiang was received on Tuesday (28.06) at the headquarters of the Community of Portuguese Speaking Countries (CPLP), where, not to mention the process of abolition of the death penalty in his country, he promised to comply with all the necessary recommendations of the membership. by organization. .

“We are ready, we are organizing to fulfill all the conditions that all CPSG member countries demand,” the President of Equatorial Guinea said in press statements without the right to ask questions.

Accompanied by Zacarias da Costa, executive secretary of the CPLP, Obiang assured that Portuguese, considered a foreign language in Equatorial Guinea, is on the rise, mainly because many young people are already learning the language in schools.

“Portuguese will become the language spoken throughout the country,” he promised.

The President of Equatorial Guinea is in Portugal as one of the senior government officials invited to the United Nations Oceans Conference, which is taking place in Lisbon until 1 July.

The presidential delegation of Equatorial Guinea includes First Lady Constance Mangue, Foreign Minister Simeon Oyono Esono, and Mozambique Murade Muraga, former CPLP Executive Secretary, who serves as Obiang’s Special Adviser for the Portuguese Language.

Jorge Trabulo Marquez spent 38 days canoeing in the Atlantic Ocean.

The head of state of Equatorial Guinea held several bilateral meetings, including with the President of the UN General Assembly, Adullah Shahid; was at the International Craft Fair (FIA), this Wednesday will be received by his Portuguese colleague Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa and will visit the Sanctuary of Fatima.

See also  Portuguese government frees participants from 23 international sports competitions from quarantine

“Obiang understood and set me free”

At the hotel where he was staying in Lisbon, Obiang received Portuguese journalist Jorge Trabulo Marques, who spent 47 years in prison in Malabo after 38 days of trying to cross the Atlantic by canoe from Sao Tome. . . .

Marquez says he was 30 years old at the time and it was Obiang, then supreme commander of the armed forces, who saved him from death.

“At that time, I was considered a spy because it was hard to believe that a European would sit in a canoe,” Jorge Trabulo Marquez told DW Africa.

“I was taken to Black Beach Maximum Security Prison and sentenced to hang. Five days later, while I was walking, the phone rang and it was Commander Obiang, the nephew of President Macias, who called me to his office to give the president a writ of execution.”

President of Equatorial Guinea Teodoro Obiang receives journalist Jorge Trabulo Marquez in Lisbon.

Meeting between President Teodoro Obiang and journalist Jorge Trabulo Marquez on Tuesday (28.06)

But Obiang, then 33, went against the execution order for his uncle Macias Nguema.

“Thank God he was understanding, he was generous, he took my word for it and set me free. I was here today to thank him for life because I saw death before me. Every night I heard piercing cries; terror prison. Whoever entered alive, came out in a tomb.”

At this meeting, the journalist expressed his gratitude by offering a picture painted with a portrait of a man who saved his life in a country where the Castilian language prevails and where the death penalty has not yet been completely abolished.

See also  Why does Baker Mayfield, his wife celebrate on contract day Patrick Mahomes

Continue Reading

Trending